In the second grade we prepare the students for receiving their first reconciliation and first holy communion.
Spelling: Spelling by Sound and Structure, Grade 2, (Rod and Staff)
Independent Reading: Faith and Freedom Readers (Seton Press): Book of Sanctity, These Are Our Neighbors, This is Our Parish
Math: Working Arithmetic, Grade 2 (Rod and Staff Publishers, Inc.)
Studies in history and culture invite the student to slowly become aware of our common Catholic Christian heritage, while studies in science invite them to become aware of God’s design in nature.
Latin: Second Form Latin (Memoria Press)
Students learn cursive by copying scripture verses and quotes from famous Americans.
Recitation: Memoria Press
In addition to the above curriculum, we supplement with music and art classes, poetry, and a Book of the Week.
Grade 2 Reading List
- Prairie School, by Avi
- The Courage of Sarah Noble, by Alice Dalgliesh
- Little House in the Big Words, by Laura Ingalls Wilders
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tale of Benjamin Bunny,
- The Tale of Tom Kitten, and The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse, by Beatrix Potter
- Animal Folk Tales of America, by Tony Palazzo